Squaw Valley has responded publicly to the discovery of contaminated well water at the resort. The matter was first reported to Placer County Department of Environmental Health on November 8. Coliform and E. Coli were found in the water sources at the upper mountain area of Squaw Valley following heavy rains and a recent upgrade of the facilities. The water was immediately treated and has been consistently monitored since. The water is currently off limits for consumption and no one has gotten sick. The mountain has remained open for skiing. The quality of the water has been improving steadily.
In Squaw Valley’s public statement, they point out that only the upper mountain water system at High Camp and Gold Coast was affected. This system was upgraded last summer and was overwhelmed by “an unusually heavy rain storm” that occurred shortly before the issue was discovered. They claim that the contaminated water was never available to the public for consumption. The problem was noticed during routine testing by Squaw. They say they promptly informed local agencies, Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District, and sought out additional water quality experts. They are currently working with these groups to monitor and treat the affected systems, and access to upper mountain water will remain off limits until the issue is fully resolved, Squaw says.
In the meantime, the upper mountain area is still open for use by guests, although the restaurants in that area are closed. Guests will be provided with complementary bottled water. Squaw emphasizes customer safety as being a top priority and thanks local groups for their assistance in the matter. Squaw promises to update guests when the issue is fully resolved.